AstonJ

AstonJ

Which apps do you use for reading programming books?

On my Mac I would just use Apple’s Preview which open’s PDF files, and on the Kindle their standard app.

On the iOS devices I am preferring the Kindle app to Apple’s ‘Books’ app - partly because it’s been a nightmare trying to sync books on to all devices!

On the Kindle app you just need to email yourself a copy of your book and it will appear on all connected devices, and it even syncs your notes and last read page - so you can continue reading on any device. It’s also more customisable and just a bit more polished imo.

What about you? What do you use?

Most Liked

AntonRich

AntonRich

On Linux I used to use Foxit Reader, but now I use Evince. Evince is simple enough and has the ability to remember the position where I stopped reading. On the phone (Andriod) I use ReadEra and I make a lot of bookmarks and highligths.

Maartz

Maartz

I’ve never encounter this issue. It’s kinda strange.

I use the Books.app on macOS because it’s really useful. Use to use Calibre but since I’m only on macOS at this moment, I do not find yet an equivalent. If someone as any :smiley:

And well I do not read books on my iPhone, can’t focus. Even on bigger ones.

AstonJ

AstonJ

Ok just found it! You have to set it up manually:

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

brentjanderson
From wikipedia: The zettelkasten (German: “slip box”) is a knowledge management and note-taking method used in research and study. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Craft your dream role at work by guiding your manager to take your priorities into account when making decisions. Ken Kousen @kenko...
New
AstonJ
On my Mac I would just use Apple’s Preview which open’s PDF files, and on the Kindle their standard app. On the iOS devices I am preferr...
New
OvermindDL1
An interesting and yet simple programming question making the rounds the past few days, how does everyone here answer: Given an input f...
New
AstonJ
Have you changed the way you learn? Maybe you started off using docs and tutorials and are now an avid book reader or course watcher? Or ...
New
conwy
I’ve been thinking of trying to apply the concept of “moats” from investing to knowledge acquisition. A business moat is a competitive ...
New
Benjamin-Philip
My Thoughts I’m a computer science undergraduate student from India, and I’ll be starting my second year (out of 4) of university in litt...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Andy and Dave wrote this influential, classic book to help their clients create better software and rediscover the joy of coding. Almost ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn from the award-winning programming series that inspired the Elixir language, and go on a step-by-step journey through the most impo...
New
dasdom
No chair. I have a standing desk. This post was split into a dedicated thread from our thread about chairs :slight_smile:
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
AstonJ
If you get Can't find emacs in your PATH when trying to install Doom Emacs on your Mac you… just… need to install Emacs first! :lol: bre...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build efficient applications that exploit the unique benefits of a pure functional language, learning from an engineer who uses Haskell t...
New
New
NewsBot
Node.js v22.14.0 has been released. Link: Release 2025-02-11, Version 22.14.0 'Jod' (LTS), @aduh95 · nodejs/node · GitHub
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Quickly turn complex problems into simple, working solutions using functional programming, safe concurrency, and the expressive tools of ...
New