AstonJ

AstonJ

Have you changed the way (and what) you learn?

Have you changed the way you learn? Maybe you started off using docs and tutorials and are now an avid book reader or course watcher? Or maybe you do less long-form content now and prefer shorter tuts/docs/screencasts?

And in an age of AI have you changed what you learn? Maybe you now only get more of an overview and leave the details for your AI tools? Or do you still aim for a good understanding of the languages and frameworks you use?

Curious to hear your thoughts!

Most Liked

jmagnani

jmagnani

Initially, I watch video tutorials/courses. But reading a good book after on the topic is much more fulfilling for me. I feel like I learn better through reading text. But of course, actually writing code enforces my learning.

Margaret

Margaret

Editor at PragProg

It’s encouraging to hear some people still like books! :grin:

I still read books, but I’ve changed the way I consume them to more audio books now.

KnowledgeIsPower

KnowledgeIsPower

AI really changes the way I learn.

But for troubleshooting AWS EKS, some AI gives out solution that doesn’t exist (no such configuration parameters), over complex solution to solve a problem or even wrong answer.I think AI may be good at some aspects (e.g. programming) of IT but not all of them.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

brentjanderson
From wikipedia: The zettelkasten (German: “slip box”) is a knowledge management and note-taking method used in research and study. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Craft your dream role at work by guiding your manager to take your priorities into account when making decisions. Ken Kousen @kenko...
New
AstonJ
On my Mac I would just use Apple’s Preview which open’s PDF files, and on the Kindle their standard app. On the iOS devices I am preferr...
New
OvermindDL1
An interesting and yet simple programming question making the rounds the past few days, how does everyone here answer: Given an input f...
New
AstonJ
Have you changed the way you learn? Maybe you started off using docs and tutorials and are now an avid book reader or course watcher? Or ...
New
conwy
I’ve been thinking of trying to apply the concept of “moats” from investing to knowledge acquisition. A business moat is a competitive ...
New
Benjamin-Philip
My Thoughts I’m a computer science undergraduate student from India, and I’ll be starting my second year (out of 4) of university in litt...
New

Other popular topics Top

brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
Maartz
Hi folks, I don’t know if I saw this here but, here’s a new programming language, called Roc Reminds me a bit of Elm and thus Haskell. ...
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
AstonJ
If you want a quick and easy way to block any website on your Mac using Little Snitch simply… File > New Rule: And select Deny, O...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Develop, deploy, and debug BEAM applications using BEAMOps: a new paradigm that focuses on scalability, fault tolerance, and owning each ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build modern server-driven web applications using htmx. Whatever programming language you use, you’ll write less (and cleaner) code. ...
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
sir.laksmana_wenk
I’m able to do the “artistic” part of game-development; character designing/modeling, music, environment modeling, etc. However, I don’t...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Fight complexity and reclaim the original spirit of agility by learning to simplify how you develop software. The result: a more humane a...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write elegant Ruby code—not just correct, but idiomatic. Go beyond the vocabulary and syntax and learn to express yourself with eloquence...
New