paulanthonywilson

paulanthonywilson

The many and varied ways to kill an OTP Process

This is an overview of different ways to try and kill an OTP process (in Elixir) and the behaviour to expect when that happens. I know this is fairly basic stuff, but it’s the kind of thing I find myself forgetting and having to recheck, and the documentation I know about is a bit scattered.

I hope to follow up with the impact on on linked and monitoring processes.

As a bonus, the post is an executable LiveBook page, which you can download and execute yourself.

Most Liked

mafinar

mafinar

This is the first “LiveBook as a Post” I have come across. That was my first reaction to LiveBook- OMG now we can download executable write-ups!

Great post, btw! I am half-way reading.

paulanthonywilson

paulanthonywilson

Yeah, I thought it was worth experimenting with and fairly easy to quickly set up with Jekyll; I’ll do a quick write-up of that when I get the chance.

It’s not quite as satisfying as I’d like, though. It would be nice to capture the output in the static/blog version, for instance.

I have seen talks in which the speaker used Jupyter Notebooks instead of slides / live coding which worked quite well. I’d expect to see more of that with LiveBook in the future.

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

AstonJ
Just finished doing a clean install of macOS (which I highly recommend btw!) and have updated my macOS Ruby & Elixir/Erlang dev env s...
New
CommunityNews
Idioms for the D Programming Language This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.
New
First poster: bot
What’s Next for Teal, the typed dialect of Lua - FOSDEM 2021. This is my talk about the latest updates on the Teal programming language,...
New
First poster: bot
I discovered Elixir and Go at about the same time (2019). I had pivoted almost eight years of working as a Java developer, and part of me...
New
First poster: bot
I’ve been more serious about learning Rust recently, after dragging on with passive learning for a while. My first real programming langu...
New
brainlid
We take a deeper dive with Nathan Long into IOLists in Elixir. We cover what they are, how they work, the power they have when concatenat...
New
ragamuf
Does the world need another How to create a blog article? Maybe not. But then again, creating something out of nothing is what we love....
New
GoulvenClech
Hi everyone :wave: I’m excited to share an article detailing how we have reorganized our Elixir/Phoenix project’s directory structure. W...
New
brainlid
Episode 264 of Thinking Elixir. News includes Phoenix v1.8 shipping with an AGENTS markdown file for new apps to enhance coding agent exp...
New
vkatsuba
Hi folks! Ukrainian Erlanger is here :sign_of_the_horns:! I’d like to share my recent talk at the TADSummit Online Conference, where I ...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Design and develop sophisticated 2D games that are as much fun to make as they are to play. From particle effects and pathfinding to soci...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rust is an exciting new programming language combining the power of C with memory safety, fearless concurrency, and productivity boosters...
New
AstonJ
This looks like a stunning keycap set :orange_heart: A LEGENDARY KEYBOARD LIVES ON When you bought an Apple Macintosh computer in the e...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Leverage Elixir and the Nx ecosystem to build intelligent applications that solve real-world problems in computer vision, natural languag...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Jan | Rethink the Computer. Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming. Minh Quang Tran The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New
AstonJ
This is a very quick guide, you just need to: Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/ Click on search Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Woke up to this today: Claude Code’s complete source code exposed via npm source map. Not a snippet. All 512,000 lines. 1,900 TypeScript ...
New