CommunityNews

CommunityNews

The $149 Smartphone That Could Bring the Linux Mobile Ecosystem to Life

If you kept a close eye on the Apple vs. Epic Games trial, you might be wondering: How the hell did we get to this point, where a phone maker that simultaneously supports the daily needs of hundreds of millions of users could have so much literal say over how its ecosystem operates?

When faced with such questions, reactions can vary—many people will grumble and complain, while others will look for other options. Problem is, operating system options have infamously been difficult to find in the smartphone space—hope you like Android or iOS, because those are your options.

On the other hand, what if I were to tell you that there’s a phone where you could have nearly every other attempt at a smartphone OS at your fingertips, one microSD card away, and you could test them at will?

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Most Liked

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

I’m really excited for these, know a couple of people that got them to play around with, been tempted myself… ^.^;

Not high end by any measure, but a very nice glimpse into possible things…

dwaynebradley

dwaynebradley

I’ve been waiting for something to disrupt the iPhone vs Android ecosystem. :crossed_fingers: that they can make a go of this one. Apple and Google are really embedded into most everyone’s lives these days.

Korbin73

Korbin73

It doesn’t look good for any company trying to push in to the market if Microsoft couldn’t pull it off. And they pushed really hard, even going as far as buying another company! (Nokia). At the time, I was doing C# and was really disappointed when they failed.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

AstonJ
In ear? Over? Noise Cancelling? Brand and model numbers please :nerd_face: Pics always welcome too!
New
hauleth
This post is a followup of @AstonJ request here. We should start with some basis before we talk further - keyboard is in most cases the ...
New
herminiotorres
Tell us what kind of machine/hardware do you have? and what kind of reason for? describe your hardware… :computer: :nerd_face:
New
AstonJ
Here’s why: He makes a convincing argument against staggered, and the first comment sums it up: Once I learned why the s...
New
AstonJ
Last thread about mechanical keyboards for now I promise!! I learnt a new word in this video, Thock! A sound many enthusiasts strive for...
New
AstonJ
The reviews are coming in - if you spot any or have a review of your own, please add it :nerd_face: @ohm will be pleased, they seem to b...
New
AstonJ
Perhaps we can add some vids on sound differences, those I’ve seen so far are giving the plastic cases a nice stock sound (you could do s...
New
First poster: bot
One of the questions I often come back to is this: how much of our collective wealth is inherited by our generations versus created by ou...
New
AstonJ
Saw this on TikTok of all places! :lol: Anyone heard of them before? Lite:
New
Ghost
Hello. I am totally green, if we talk about hardware. Could anybody recommend to me, how I could get into this knowledge? My main goal...
New

Other popular topics Top

DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
Rainer
My first contact with Erlang was about 2 years ago when I used RabbitMQ, which is written in Erlang, for my job. This made me curious and...
New
AstonJ
Just done a fresh install of macOS Big Sur and on installing Erlang I am getting: asdf install erlang 23.1.2 Configure failed. checking ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Tailwind CSS is an exciting new CSS framework that allows you to design your site by composing simple utility classes to create complex e...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build efficient applications that exploit the unique benefits of a pure functional language, learning from an engineer who uses Haskell t...
New
AstonJ
If you want a quick and easy way to block any website on your Mac using Little Snitch simply… File > New Rule: And select Deny, O...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Get the comprehensive, insider information you need for Rails 8 with the new edition of this award-winning classic. Sam Ruby @rubys ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Lint your docs like code: turn any style guide into enforceable rules with Vale and publish clear, consistent content every time. ...
New
pragdave
Build robust LLM-powered apps, chatbots, and agents while mastering AI engineering principles that will help you outlast the tools and th...
New