Brad

Brad

Programming Phoenix LiveView:

Two things:

1.
The book is written to,. or alludes to the following…

Open up an operating system shell and navigate to the parent directory for your project. Then, type:
mix phx.new pento --live
…
[pp_liveview] ➔ mix phx.new pento --live * creating pento/config/config.exs

  • creating pento/config/dev.exs
  • creating pento/config/prod.exs
    …
    Fetch and install dependencies? [Yn] Y
  • running mix deps.get
    …
    The mix phx.new command runs the Phoenix installer for a standard Phoenix project, and the --live switch adds the library dependencies, configuration, and assets we’ll need to build live views.

As we work through this book, we’ll point out the bits that this --live switch adds to our project, and we’ll examine the directory structure in detail over time. For now, know that backend code goes in the lib/pento directory, the web- based assets like .css and .js files go in assets, and the web-based code all goes in the lib/pento_web directory.
Create The Database and Run The Server
At the bottom of the installation output, you’ll find a few extra instructions that look something like this:
…
We are almost there! The following steps are missing:
$ cd pento
$ mix deps.get
$ cd assets && npm install && node node_modules/webpack/bin/webpack.js
–mode development
Then configure your database in config/dev.exs and run:
$ mix ecto.create

I think too many assumptions are made at this step, especially if you are rusty. mix ecto.create errors out. You need to be specific about what those configs need to be set at in config/dev.exs. Also which version of PostgreSQL? A suggestion GUI-driven version probably would be a good idea to help standardize this.

2.
The book above (#1) says one thing but the printout I get from running mix phx.new pento --live produced s slightly different set of instructions at the end of the project generation.

(base) bradhutchins@MacBook-Pro Programming-Phoenix-LiveView % mix phx.new pento --live

  • creating pento/config/config.exs
  • creating pento/config/dev.exs
  • creating pento/config/prod.exs
  • creating pento/config/prod.secret.exs
  • creating pento/config/test.exs
  • creating pento/lib/pento/application.ex
  • creating pento/lib/pento.ex
  • creating pento/lib/pento_web/channels/user_socket.ex
  • creating pento/lib/pento_web/views/error_helpers.ex
  • creating pento/lib/pento_web/views/error_view.ex
  • creating pento/lib/pento_web/endpoint.ex
  • creating pento/lib/pento_web/router.ex
  • creating pento/lib/pento_web/telemetry.ex
  • creating pento/lib/pento_web.ex
  • creating pento/mix.exs
  • creating pento/README.md
  • creating pento/.formatter.exs
  • creating pento/.gitignore
  • creating pento/test/support/channel_case.ex
  • creating pento/test/support/conn_case.ex
  • creating pento/test/test_helper.exs
  • creating pento/test/pento_web/views/error_view_test.exs
  • creating pento/lib/pento/repo.ex
  • creating pento/priv/repo/migrations/.formatter.exs
  • creating pento/priv/repo/seeds.exs
  • creating pento/test/support/data_case.ex
  • creating pento/lib/pento_web/templates/layout/root.html.leex
  • creating pento/lib/pento_web/templates/layout/app.html.eex
  • creating pento/lib/pento_web/templates/layout/live.html.leex
  • creating pento/lib/pento_web/views/layout_view.ex
  • creating pento/lib/pento_web/live/page_live.ex
  • creating pento/lib/pento_web/live/page_live.html.leex
  • creating pento/test/pento_web/views/layout_view_test.exs
  • creating pento/test/pento_web/live/page_live_test.exs
  • creating pento/lib/pento_web/gettext.ex
  • creating pento/priv/gettext/en/LC_MESSAGES/errors.po
  • creating pento/priv/gettext/errors.pot
  • creating pento/assets/webpack.config.js
  • creating pento/assets/.babelrc
  • creating pento/assets/js/app.js
  • creating pento/assets/css/app.scss
  • creating pento/assets/package.json
  • creating pento/assets/static/favicon.ico
  • creating pento/assets/css/phoenix.css
  • creating pento/assets/static/images/phoenix.png
  • creating pento/assets/static/robots.txt

Fetch and install dependencies? [Yn] Y

  • running mix deps.get
  • running mix deps.compile
  • running cd assets && npm install && node node_modules/webpack/bin/webpack.js --mode development

We are almost there! The following steps are missing:

$ cd pento

Then configure your database in config/dev.exs and run:

$ mix ecto.create

Start your Phoenix app with:

$ mix phx.server

You can also run your app inside IEx (Interactive Elixir) as:

$ iex -S mix phx.server

Marked As Solved

SophieDeBenedetto

SophieDeBenedetto

Author of Programming Phoenix LiveView

Thanks for pointing this out @Brad, your feedback is super helpful :slight_smile:

You can look for some updated info on installing and configuring Postgres in the next Beta release. As for seeing slightly different output from the mix phx new pento --live command–that would likely be due to your using a different Phoenix version than the one with which the Pento app is generated. Some added text to clarify that this might be the case for readers will probably help here. Look for that in the upcoming release as well!

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

telemachus
Python Testing With Pytest - Chapter 2, warnings for “unregistered custom marks” While running the smoke tests in Chapter 2, I get these...
New
mikecargal
Title: Hands-on Rust: question about get_component (page 295) (feel free to respond. “You dug you’re own hole… good luck”) I have somet...
New
raul
Page 28: It implements io.ReaderAt on the store type. Sorry if it’s a dumb question but was the io.ReaderAt supposed to be io.ReadAt? ...
New
rmurray10127
Title: Intuitive Python: docker run… denied error (page 2) Attempted to run the docker command in both CLI and Powershell PS C:\Users\r...
New
swlaschin
The book has the same “Problem space/Solution space” diagram on page 18 as is on page 17. The correct Problem/Solution space diagrams ar...
New
brunogirin
When running tox for the first time, I got the following error: ERROR: InterpreterNotFound: python3.10 I realised that I was running ...
New
dsmith42
Hey there, I’m enjoying this book and have learned a few things alredayd. However, in Chapter 4 I believe we are meant to see the “>...
New
hazardco
On page 78 the following code appears: <%= link_to ‘Destroy’, product, class: ‘hover:underline’, method: :delete, data: { confirm...
New
kolossal
Hi, I need some help, I’m new to rust and was learning through your book. but I got stuck at the last stage of distribution. Whenever I t...
New
dachristenson
@mfazio23 Android Studio will not accept anything I do when trying to use the Transformations class, as described on pp. 140-141. Googl...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Machine learning can be intimidating, with its reliance on math and algorithms that most programmers don't encounter in their regular wor...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Design and develop sophisticated 2D games that are as much fun to make as they are to play. From particle effects and pathfinding to soci...
New
AstonJ
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed! Check out all of our Keycaps threads here: https://forum....
New
AstonJ
This looks like a stunning keycap set :orange_heart: A LEGENDARY KEYBOARD LIVES ON When you bought an Apple Macintosh computer in the e...
New
Maartz
Hi folks, I don’t know if I saw this here but, here’s a new programming language, called Roc Reminds me a bit of Elm and thus Haskell. ...
New
foxtrottwist
A few weeks ago I started using Warp a terminal written in rust. Though in it’s current state of development there are a few caveats (tab...
New
AstonJ
If you’re getting errors like this: psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Get the comprehensive, insider information you need for Rails 8 with the new edition of this award-winning classic. Sam Ruby @rubys ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Fight complexity and reclaim the original spirit of agility by learning to simplify how you develop software. The result: a more humane a...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New

Sub Categories: