CommunityNews

CommunityNews

On Building Glue Systems

Researches on glue systems have a long history, although the problem usually lures hackers instead of academics.

Rick Hickey, the creator of the Clojure programming language, called it “situated programming.” It’s about those kinds of programs that sit in the world and entangle with the world.

situate - “to put in or on a particular site or place.”

Marcel Weiher thinks that it is the “success condition” in software technology and believe our tools and linguistic mechanisms haven’t caught up to deal with this kind of problem.

I agree with them. So instead of avoiding talk about the glue system, I want to draw more attention to the problem.

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Most Liked

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

That’s hardly an essay but it does bring up a problem that I have lately: I’m sick of building glue systems…:grimacing:

AstonJ

AstonJ

What do you want to build instead Dimi? Follow your passion!! :003:

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

CommunityNews
What is 3110 about? You might think this course is about OCaml. It’s not. You might think this course is about data structures. It’s not...
New
CommunityNews
This repository contains a collection of sample applications and libraries written in Zig programming language and using DirectX 12 API. ...
New
First poster: bot
Rubinius began as a metacircular implementation of Ruby and was billed as Ruby in Ruby. Today the core and much of the standard library, ...
New
CommunityNews
Multicore OCaml by kayceesrk · Pull Request #10831 · ocaml/ocaml. This PR adds support for shared-memory parallelism through domains and...
New
First poster: bot
Building a Neural Network in Pure Lisp without Built-in Numbers using only Atoms and Lists. A neural network written in pure Lisp withou...
New
First poster: OvermindDL1
GitHub - deadpixi/wasm-maze-generator: A simple WASM maze generator in Go. A simple WASM maze generator in Go. Contribute to deadpixi/wa...
New
First poster: bot
IS C++ DOOMED?. I was bored so wrote a contiguous queue in C++ ( ). These are my thoughts from that exercise. INTRO I’ve written a lot o...
New
First poster: bot
clog/LEARN.md at main · rabbibotton/clog. CLOG - The Common Lisp Omnificent GUI. Contribute to rabbibotton/clog development by creating ...
New
First poster: andrea
We are excited to announce the public preview of the brand-new PostgreSQL extension for Visual Studio Code (VS Code), designed to simplif...
New
gfqdjb
This post is my attempt to write down, in broad strokes, everything I know about good system design. A lot of the concrete judgment calls...
New

Other popular topics Top

New
AstonJ
In case anyone else is wondering why Ruby 3 doesn’t show when you do asdf list-all ruby :man_facepalming: do this first: asdf plugin-upd...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Rebecca Skinner @RebeccaSkinner Welcome to our latest author spotlight, where we sit down with Rebecca Skinner, auth...
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New
RobertRichards
Hair Salon Games for Girls Fun Girls Hair Saloon game is mainly developed for kids. This game allows users to select virtual avatars to ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Fight complexity and reclaim the original spirit of agility by learning to simplify how you develop software. The result: a more humane a...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A concise guide to MySQL 9 database administration, covering fundamental concepts, techniques, and best practices. Neil Smyth MySQL...
New
mindriot
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New