almokhtar

almokhtar

Learning two different programming languages same time?

Howdy, folks i have this question about it is ok to learn two different programming languages same time, well my story is i joined a company that they work with ruby last year just started learning and working with it same time and really like it after been working with php for a really long time, and now while am still learning new stuff about ruby the company asked me to learn elixir and i feel like i don’t really know much about ruby to switch to a completely to Functional language that i had no idea about this paradigm FP.
any idea what should i do ?

Most Liked

AstonJ

AstonJ

If you already know PHP then it will be easier to pick up Ruby first, and when you know Ruby it may be easier to get into Elixir as Elixir’s syntax was in part inspired by Ruby :003:

For FP, reading some of the Elixir books will help, like @ulissesalmeida’s Learn Functional Programming with Elixir Book Portal | Devtalk :023:

Here’s my review of it on EF:

dewetblomerus

dewetblomerus

I want to acknowledge your discomfort and hope that they are being sensitive to how much time this is going to take you, while also pointing out that this is a good problem to have. You are being paid to learn things while most people have to pay to learn things.

Here is what I think you can ignore in the beginning:

  • Genservers
  • Concurrency
  • ETS
  • OTP
  • Recursive Functions

These things are all super powerful and you will be very well served by learning them eventually, but you can get away with making your initial progress without them.

Here are some of the initial concepts that you will need to learn right away, I am assuming you are doing web development with Phoenix:

  • Read all the errors carefully, with the attitude that (I am going to be great at understanding these) understanding those in any language is a huge help.
  • How to create a Module
  • How to create named functions
  • How to create anonymous functions
  • How you call named functions, always on the module, you don’t do "almokhtar".upcase but instead String.upcase("almokhtar"). It is as if everything is a class method.
  • How to use the List, Map, String and Enum modules.
  • Pattern match on function heads instead of using if statements (just go with me on this, if you ignore this and write your code with if statements you will be confused the moment you try to read someone else’s code).
  • Phoenix, if this is what they are wanting you to actually get done.
jss

jss

Working with different applications (fixing bugs and adding features), I have no choice but to learn different things at the same time :frowning:

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

AstonJ
Currently a hot topic in the BEAM world, let’s start a thread for it (as suggested by @crowdhailer here) :smiley: What are your current...
New
New
finner
During a recent code review I came across this scenario: Code in review if (input.getValue() != null) { return Arrays.asList(value);...
New
First poster: bot
About Self Self is a prototype-based dynamic object-oriented programming language, environment, and virtual machine centered around the p...
New
ariandanim
Hello, i am facing difficult using webpack when to install within phoenix framework 1.5.7 because the webpack is still version 4.x.x inf...
New
AstonJ
If you are experiencing Rails console using 100% CPU on your dev machine, then updating your development and test gems might fix the issu...
New
Exadra37
Finishing my app to take notes on Videos: I am aiming to put it online on my playground by this weekend. Edit: It’s up https://video...
New
Jsdr3398
I really need developers to help create my messaging platform but I’m not sure how much they want etc. I’ve never hired anyone before :s...
New
Cellane
I’ve been asked by my supervisors at work to finally give everyone in the team presentation about “that Elixir thing you can’t seem to sh...
New
AstonJ
And the blog: Rails has been unapologetically full stack since the beginning. We’ve continuously sought to include ever-more default an...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
AstonJ
This looks like a stunning keycap set :orange_heart: A LEGENDARY KEYBOARD LIVES ON When you bought an Apple Macintosh computer in the e...
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New