finner

finner

Enum: Behind the scenes

I’ve never really felt 100% comfortable using the enum type because of my lack of understanding how it is constructed . . .

. . . until now :grin:

Here is how a basic enum might be typically declared.

enum DevTalkForum {
   NEWS,
   CHAT,
   JOURNALS,
   BOOK_ERRATA
}

And here is the class that is constructed behinds the scenes:

final class DevTalkForum extends Enum<DevTalkForum> {

   /**
    *   the type Enum only has 2 simple properties: 
    */
   private DevTalkForum(String name, int ordinal) { 
      super(name, ordinal); 
   }

   /**
    *   each element in the enum is a subclass of the type Enum
    */
   public static final DevTalkForum NEWS = new DevTalkForum("NEWS", 0);
   public static final DevTalkForum CHAT = new DevTalkForum("CHAT", 1);
   public static final DevTalkForum JOURNALS = new DevTalkForum("JOURNALS", 2);
   public static final DevTalkForum BOOK_ERRATA = new DevTalkForum("BOOK_ERRATA", 3);

   /**
     *   all the enum classes are stored in an array
     */
   private static final DevTalkForum[] VALUES = { NEWS, CHAT, JOURNALS, BOOK_ERRATA };
   
   public static DevTalkForum[] values() { 
      return VALUES.clone(); 
   }
   
   public static DevTalkForum valueOf(String name) {
      for (DevTalkForum e : VALUES) 
         if (e.name().equals(name)) return e;
      throw new IllegalArgumentException();
   }
}

Realising how the enum is constructed has helped me understand how to use it correctly.
For example, the toString() of the class can be overridden to provide an alternative string value if you do not want to add another property.

enum DevTalkForum {
    NEWS,
    CHAT,
    JOURNALS,
    BOOK_ERRATA;

    @Override
    public String toString() {
        switch (this) {
            case CHAT:
                return "Chat";
            case JOURNALS:
                return "Journals";
            case BOOK_ERRATA:
                return "Book Errata";
            case NEWS:
            default:
                return "News";
            
        }
    }
}

So now that I feel closer to the enum I think I’m going to try and pop them into my code a bit more often.

Hope this was somehow helpful

Most Liked

AstonJ

AstonJ

Nice one Finner :+1:

Funnily enough, I had to re-read the Enumerable and Enumerator chapter in The Well Grounded Rubyist (which I loved btw) a couple of times as it’s a little harder to grok than some of the other stuff. I’d actually like to read the book again one day as I loved it :smiley:

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

AstonJ
Or which features of current frameworks you use you feel you couldn’t live without?
New
wolf4earth
Serverless has been quite a prevalent topic in our industry in the past few years, and while there are a lot of sceptics, I think it’s sa...
New
New
New
CommunityNews
The Magic of Python Context Managers. Recipes for using and creating awesome Python context managers, that will make your code more read...
New
DevotionGeo
How Dgraph was running out of memory for some users, and how Go’s Garbage collector wasn’t enough, and Dgraph team used jemalloc to manag...
New
Jsdr3398
I just thought of this. Are there any disadvantages when making your server in Assembly (other than having to learn a bunch of stuff :ro...
New
Exadra37
Finishing my app to take notes on Videos: I am aiming to put it online on my playground by this weekend. Edit: It’s up https://video...
New
Cellane
I’ve been asked by my supervisors at work to finally give everyone in the team presentation about “that Elixir thing you can’t seem to sh...
New
apoorv-2204
I’m experimenting with Hexagonal / Clean Architecture in Elixir. The classic Behaviour + Impl split works great for mocking and isolating...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Write Elixir tests that you can be proud of. Dive into Elixir’s test philosophy and gain mastery over the terminology and concepts that u...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Design and develop sophisticated 2D games that are as much fun to make as they are to play. From particle effects and pathfinding to soci...
New
AstonJ
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
AstonJ
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me. I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Jan | Rethink the Computer. Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New