CommunityNews

CommunityNews

Anthropic CEO: “We Do Not Understand How Our Own AI Creations Work”

Dario Amodei predicts the “MRI for AI” will be here in five to 10 years. And, he outlines three ways to achieve AI model interpretability sooner.

Read in full here:

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/news-anthropic-ceo-ai-interoperability/

Most Liked

jss

jss

I also don’t know why the code I wrote the other day works :squinting_face_with_tongue:

Eiji

Eiji

Company owners does not really need to understand how their projects works under the root as long as they are smart enough to realise it and don’t cause a problem for their employees. That’s said at best they should have at least some ground knowledge about their projects just to not propose a conflicting ideas.

Describing every time why some idea conflicts with another one maid in past only slows down the developer work. If owner is kind and willing to understand it’s fine. However some people expect that developer would blindly implement something as they’re “paying for their work” and therefore they “see no problem”.

If I would be the CEO i.e. a person that many people look what I’m talking about then I would definitely say something that’s completely different:

The LLM is a very complex algorithm and although I don’t understand every aspect of it, I work closely with the developers, because we want to provide the best quality of our services.

Instead of that we’ve got:

People outside the field are often surprised and alarmed to learn that we do not understand how our own AI creations work. They are right to be concerned: this lack of understanding is essentially unprecedented in the history of technology

I sometimes feel that I woke up from an awesome heaven dream and land into a painful reality. Am I the crazy one who believes in “old & good business” dreams or is it another attempt to make people fear about LLM? What’s wrong with the business today? Why they still have funds after they scare the investors? Why it’s considered normal that people in the field takes it as a normal thing?

If I would fund something maybe I would not be interested in many aspects (especially if I would be a big player funding thousands of projects), but I would be definitely interested in what exactly I’m paying for. After such text I would do all I can to take back all the money and make sure that I would never fund any of this company’s project and anything that this CEO was ever touching.

Sure, I understand we don’t live in a world full of trust especially when we are talking about politicians or mainstream medias, but come on … it’s a business! How they can even work with absolutely no trust? In normal world what would you do if an employee would say that they have no idea what they are working on?

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

First poster: dimitarvp
skiftOS is a simple, handmade operating system for the x86 platform, aiming for clean and pretty APIs while keeping the spirit of UNIX. s...
New
First poster: mafinar
F# Is The Best Coding Language Today. If you want to personally pick up a programming language in order to become a better coder in what...
New
First poster: dpritchett
It’s not what programming languages do, it’s what they shepherd you to. How many of you have listened, read or taken part in a discussio...
New
First poster: mindriot
LG 28-inch 16:18 DualUp Monitor with Ergo Stand and USB Type-C™ (28MQ780-B) | LG USA. Shop LG 28MQ780-B on the official LG.com website ...
New
First poster: mikhailgrib
Let’s build GPT: from scratch, in code, spelled out… We build a Generatively Pretrained Transformer (GPT), following the paper “Attentio...
New
First poster: peterchancc
Why I like Clojure as a solo developer | Biff. Most of the reasons fall into a few categories: data orientation, the JVM, and the REPL.
New
CommunityNews
The Definitive PHP 7.2, 7.3, 7.4, 8.0, and 8.1 Benchmarks (2023). We tested the performance of 14 PHP platforms (WordPress, Drupal, Lara...
New
First poster: jkdiaz
Dark mode isn’t as good for your eyes as you believe. The shadowy display mode has leagues of fans claiming it helps reduce eye strain, ...
New
First poster: alvinkatojr
About accelerationism, NRx, and the intersection of technology, religion, and philosophy: an analysis of the essential ideas in the new A...
New
CommunityNews
The French originated the meter in the 1790s as one/ten-millionth of the distance from the equator to the north pole along a meridian thr...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
Exadra37
Please tell us what is your preferred monitor setup for programming(not gaming) and why you have chosen it. Does your monitor have eye p...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
AstonJ
This looks like a stunning keycap set :orange_heart: A LEGENDARY KEYBOARD LIVES ON When you bought an Apple Macintosh computer in the e...
New
AstonJ
In case anyone else is wondering why Ruby 3 doesn’t show when you do asdf list-all ruby :man_facepalming: do this first: asdf plugin-upd...
New
Exadra37
Oh just spent so much time on this to discover now that RancherOS is in end of life but Rancher is refusing to mark the Github repo as su...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use WebRTC to build web applications that stream media and data in real time directly from one user to another, all in the browser. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Develop, deploy, and debug BEAM applications using BEAMOps: a new paradigm that focuses on scalability, fault tolerance, and owning each ...
New
pragdave
Build robust LLM-powered apps, chatbots, and agents while mastering AI engineering principles that will help you outlast the tools and th...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New