ManningBooks

ManningBooks

Devtalk Sponsor

Rust in Action (Manning)

Rust in Action introduces the Rust programming language by exploring numerous systems programming concepts and techniques. You'll be learning Rust by delving into how computers work under the hood.

Tim McNamara @timClicks

You’ll find yourself playing with persistent storage, memory, networking and even tinkering with CPU instructions. The book takes you through using Rust to extend other applications and teaches you tricks to write blindingly fast code.

You’ll also discover parallel and concurrent programming. Filled to the brim with real-life use cases and scenarios, you’ll go beyond the Rust syntax and see what Rust has to offer in real-world use cases.

Don’t forget you can get 35% off with your Devtalk discount! Just use the coupon code “devtalk.com” at checkout :+1:

Most Liked

timClicks

timClicks

Author of Rust in Action

Thanks for all of the positive words @AstonJ @Maartz :sparkles:. I’m really delighted that it has finally been released. From the very positive reviews that it’s already received, it’s clear that its project-based approach is beneficial to many learners.

If anyone stumbles across this thread - please feel free to ask me anything :crab: :slight_smile:

timClicks

timClicks

Author of Rust in Action

It’s finished and ready to ship now. Buying Rust in Action it from the publisher is fastest. Amazon and other distributors do not yet have it in stock.

Good question! It is not a 700 page book covering the entire language. Expect light treatment of macros, async and higher-order programming. I spend a lot of time teaching low-level programming though, because I expect that most readers are least familiar with that.

Rust in Action is designed for people who like to learn with practical projects and who want to learn what “systems programming” is. I provide a fuller introduction in this Reddit thread. I recommend searching on Twitter for “rust in action” to see readers’ comments.


I think the database-from-scratch example was the most difficult. But only because I re-wrote the chapter multiple times. I originally wanted to provide a much richer database with a full query language, but ultimately pulled back because there was not enough space in the book. One of my drafts for the chapter was 90 pages long,.

From a different perspective, it was somewhat difficult to go back to my earlier examples. I became a much better Rust programmer as I wrote the book. And I kept fighting the urge to re-write what I had already written.

AstonJ

AstonJ

This is definitely one of the Rust books I want to read one day!

Conrgats @timClicks :+1:

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Take your Go skills to the next level by learning how to design, develop, and deploy a distributed service. Start from the bare essential...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Good API design means starting with the API-first principle—understanding who is using the API and what they want to do with it—and apply...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Do less work when testing your Python code, but be just as expressive, elegant, and readable. The pytest testing framework helps you writ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Functional languages have their own patterns that enable you to solve problems with less code than object-oriented programming alone. Thi...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Level up your Rust programming skills with a series of brain teasers as you discover some of the unexpected Rust behaviors and challenge ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Get the comprehensive, insider information you need for Rails 7.2 with the new edition of this award-winning classic. Sam Ruby @ruby...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Get the comprehensive, insider information you need for Rails 8 with the new edition of this award-winning classic. Sam Ruby @rubys ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
An illustrated guide to understanding and effectively using regular expressions. Staffan Nöteberg To effectively use regular expressi...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Cut through the complexity and apply AI-driven vector search strategies to deliver smarter, more intuitive search experiences that keep u...
New
pragdave
Classroom-tested by generations of students, this new edition of the popular intro to programming book is for anyone who wants to underst...
New

Other popular topics Top

New
dasdom
No chair. I have a standing desk. This post was split into a dedicated thread from our thread about chairs :slight_smile:
New
brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
AstonJ
If you’re getting errors like this: psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Get the comprehensive, insider information you need for Rails 8 with the new edition of this award-winning classic. Sam Ruby @rubys ...
New
AstonJ
This is cool! DEEPSEEK-V3 ON M4 MAC: BLAZING FAST INFERENCE ON APPLE SILICON We just witnessed something incredible: the largest open-s...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Woke up to this today: Claude Code’s complete source code exposed via npm source map. Not a snippet. All 512,000 lines. 1,900 TypeScript ...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New