CommunityNews

CommunityNews

Formalising Mathematics: An Introduction

As part of the EPSRC Taught Course Centre I am giving a course on formalising mathematics. This is a course for mathematics PhD students enrolled at Imperial College London, Bristol, Bath, Oxford, or Warwick. No formalisation experience will be assumed. Details of the course are available at the second link above. I have been timetabled eight 2-hour lectures on Thursdays 4-6pm UK time, starting this coming Thursday, 21st Jan 2021.

My instinct in the first lecture would be to start by listing a bunch of reasons why learning how to formalise pure mathematics is interesting/useful/important/whatever, and perhaps also explaining how I got involved with it. But I could probably spend about 30 minutes on this, and I don’t want to waste valuable lecture time on it. In fact I won’t actually be giving lectures at all — the 2-hour slots will be mini Lean workshops, where beginners formalise mathematics they know, with me watching, and I cannot see the point of making the students listen to me waffle on about my opinions/history when, after all, they have chosen to come to the course anyway. So I’ve just decided to write the introduction here, and then students can choose to read it at their leisure (or not read it at all)…

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

First poster: iPaul
TOKYO (Kyodo) – Japan’s government plans to encourage firms to let their employees choose to work four days a week instead of five, aimin...
New
First poster: bot
SPWN is a programming language that compiles to Geometry Dash levels. What that means is that you can create levels by using not only the...
New
New
First poster: bot
MEMORANDUM FOR SENIOR PENTAGON LEADERSHIP COMMANDANT OF THE COAST GUARD COMMANDERS OF THE COMBATANT COMMANDS DEFENSE AGENCY AND DOD FIEL...
New
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
First poster: AstonJ
GitHub - exelban/stats: macOS system monitor in your menu bar. macOS system monitor in your menu bar. Contribute to exelban/stats develo...
New
First poster: chris.johan
Skype’s days appear to be numbered, as a hidden string in the latest Skype for Windows preview suggests Microsoft will shutter the servic...
New
CommunityNews
We present DeepSeek-V3, a strong Mixture-of-Experts (MoE) language model with 671B total parameters with 37B activated for each token. To...
New
First poster: jss
Bare is a minimal and modular JavaScript runtime designed for building high-performance apps across desktop and mobile. Open-source, fast...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Stop developing web apps with yesterday’s tools. Today, developers are increasingly adopting Clojure as a web-development platform. See f...
New
Exadra37
Please tell us what is your preferred monitor setup for programming(not gaming) and why you have chosen it. Does your monitor have eye p...
New
brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Tailwind CSS is an exciting new CSS framework that allows you to design your site by composing simple utility classes to create complex e...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
25 puzzles that will make you a better C programmer by challenging your knowledge of the language, and explaining the technical details o...
New
AstonJ
This is cool! DEEPSEEK-V3 ON M4 MAC: BLAZING FAST INFERENCE ON APPLE SILICON We just witnessed something incredible: the largest open-s...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Lint your docs like code: turn any style guide into enforceable rules with Vale and publish clear, consistent content every time. ...
New