jaeyson

jaeyson

Docker Compose: dynamically change the image architecture based on running host machine

Hi! quick question: is it possible to dynamically change the image’s arch based on the host’s machine instead of create 2 separate docker compose file?

Currently I have 2 files:

For arm64 (osx)

services:
  typesense:
    image: docker.io/typesense/typesense:0.25.2-arm64
    container_name: typesense
    restart: on-failure
    ports:
      - "8108:8108"
    volumes:
      - ./typesense-data:/data
    command: '--data-dir /data --api-key=xyz --enable-cors'

For non arm64

services:
  typesense:
    image: docker.io/typesense/typesense:0.25.2
    container_name: typesense
    restart: on-failure
    ports:
      - "8108:8108"
    volumes:
      - ./typesense-data:/data
    command: '--data-dir /data --api-key=xyz --enable-cors'

The only difference here is the image, and ideally running them e.g. docker compose up -d then let the engine decide which arch is appropriate in the host’s machine instead of using docker compose -f <FILE> up -d.

Marked As Solved

conradwt

conradwt

There’s no platform option for docker compose. Thus, what you’re looking for here is something even easier. For example, you’ll want to do the following:

services:
  typesense:
    image: typesense/typesense:0.25.2
    container_name: typesense
    restart: on-failure
    ports:
      - "8108:8108"
    volumes:
      - ./typesense-data:/data
    command: '--data-dir /data --api-key=xyz --enable-cors'

Now, the above should run the appropriate Docker image platform variant for the host architecture.

Also Liked

jkdiaz

jkdiaz

I doubt that you can do this dynamically. Or maybe I am wrong. :slight_smile: But using separate files might be the simplest way.

faust

faust

I haven’t tried it myself but I guess you can use environment variables

image: docker.io/typesense/${MY_VARIABLE}"

Then in your shell you declare a variable called MY_VARIABLE according to your system

You can read more here:

conradwt

conradwt

@jaeyson Have you tried building a multi-platform Docker image for your application? If not, I recommend checking out the docs on the subject here:

Where Next?

Popular Cross Platform topics Top

jaeyson
Hi! quick question: is it possible to dynamically change the image’s arch based on the host’s machine instead of create 2 separate docker...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Write Elixir tests that you can be proud of. Dive into Elixir’s test philosophy and gain mastery over the terminology and concepts that u...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn different ways of writing concurrent code in Elixir and increase your application's performance, without sacrificing scalability or...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single...
New
sir.laksmana_wenk
I’m able to do the “artistic” part of game-development; character designing/modeling, music, environment modeling, etc. However, I don’t...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Explore the power of Ash Framework by modeling and building the domain for a real-world web application. Rebecca Le @sevenseacat and ...
New
NewsBot
Node.js v22.14.0 has been released. Link: Release 2025-02-11, Version 22.14.0 'Jod' (LTS), @aduh95 · nodejs/node · GitHub
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New
CommunityNews
Open-source implementation of the classic GTA engine now running directly in your browser. Experience the reVC technology demo on DOS.Zon...
New