CommunityNews

CommunityNews

Creating a DOOM-inspired aesthetic with PlayCanvas

Last week I made a game called Death’s Clutch in 10 days for a game jam hosted by Newgrounds. Making it was a lot of fun because it involved a lot of customized rendering like making DOOM-inspired 2D billboards that move in 3D, or hacking PlayCanvas’s material system to get stylized lighting.

I hope this “how it’s made” article will be useful for others seeking to stylize their PlayCanvas games, and I’m curious if any readers know of better ways to implement these effects (especially curious about comparing with other engines/workflows).

The other reason I wanted to document this process was as a reminder to myself of how beautiful things are made — layer by layer.

Read in full here:

https://omarshehata.me/html/playcanvas-horror-aesthetic/

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Where Next?

Popular Game Dev topics Top

New
First poster: bot
Sony says its next-generation PlayStation VR system will feature an improved field of view and silence critics of the current device’s wi...
New
First poster: bot
The topic of Unreal’s impact on AAA game development is a big one with a lot of avenues to explore. I won’t claim to have the knowledge o...
New
First poster: bot
An in-depth analysis that explains how this console works internally
New
First poster: bot
Little Red Dog Games is an indie game developer that primarily uses Godot to create games such as Deep Sixed , Precipice , and their late...
New
First poster: bot
An original Zelda cartridge and a Mario game set successive records at auction within days.
New
RobertRichards
As of now, the online casino game industry has registered an impressive revenue size of over $87.91 billion which will witness a massive ...
New
RobertRichards
Game development involves a blend of creativity and high-end technologies to obtain the best outcome. Right now, Unity game development i...
New
RobertRichards
For emerging businesses and startups, fitness app development presents a lucrative opportunity worldwide. With a strong market size of $6...
New
rocket9
The video complements the text tutorial at 1. Game Dev Fundamentals | Trevor's Tutorials
New

Other popular topics Top

New
AstonJ
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
AstonJ
This looks like a stunning keycap set :orange_heart: A LEGENDARY KEYBOARD LIVES ON When you bought an Apple Macintosh computer in the e...
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
foxtrottwist
A few weeks ago I started using Warp a terminal written in rust. Though in it’s current state of development there are a few caveats (tab...
New
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming. Minh Quang Tran The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A concise guide to MySQL 9 database administration, covering fundamental concepts, techniques, and best practices. Neil Smyth MySQL...
New
CommunityNews
Open-source implementation of the classic GTA engine now running directly in your browser. Experience the reVC technology demo on DOS.Zon...
New