brainlid

brainlid

ThinkingElixir 120 - Localize and Personalize Your Elixir Apps

Episode 120 of Thinking Elixir. Localizing and personalizing an application is separate from the language used in the interface. Kip Cole explains how the mismatch of computers with the culture of our audience creates friction we may not even be aware of. In fact, our benign app may be unintentionally offensive to millions of people! Kip created the libraries ex_cldr, money and tempo to help Elixir developers localize applications in a culture aware way. What does that mean? It means using minimal information we can infer how names should appear, how numbers are represented, the assumed numeric rounding rules, first day of the week, the calendar being used, and more!

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

dimitarvp
Apparently he decided to live-stream how he’s going to create a semver library.
New
ErlangSolutions
Interested in a blazingly fast type checker with 25 years of investment, delivered on the BEAM? Check out Caramel, an exciting project fr...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Ten years without Elixir. I never got into Elixir, largely because it looked like Ruby. I was a Rubyist for a good while, spent time and...
New
AstonJ
If you’re interested in Rust this is worth a read :smiley: Technology from the past come to save the future from itself Hi I have be...
New
First poster: bot
What’s Next for Teal, the typed dialect of Lua - FOSDEM 2021. This is my talk about the latest updates on the Teal programming language,...
New
AstonJ
Just listening to this now… Totally agree with @FrancescoC’s and @thompson_si’s comment “learn to learn” :sunglasses: In our talk we’...
New
First poster: bot
Over the last few years, due in large part to the hype surrounding blockchain and cryptocurrencies, decentralized applications have gaine...
New
First poster: bot
Like, on a scale from c to rust? issue c zig (release-safe) rust (release) out-of-bounds heap read/write none runtime runtime ...
New
CommunityNews
Have you ever wanted to write a structurally typed function in Rust? Do you spend a lot of time and effort getting your Rust struct s jus...
New
RudManusachi
Hi there! Recently I was playing around with extracting and updating data in the DB and for fun challenged myself to try to implement a ...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
AstonJ
Was just curious to see if any were around, found this one: I got 51/100: Not sure if it was meant to buy I am sure at times the b...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
DevotionGeo
I have always used antique keyboards like Cherry MX 1800 or Cherry MX 8100 and almost always have modified the switches in some way, like...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Explore the power of Ash Framework by modeling and building the domain for a real-world web application. Rebecca Le @sevenseacat and ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New
mindriot
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write elegant Ruby code—not just correct, but idiomatic. Go beyond the vocabulary and syntax and learn to express yourself with eloquence...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New