CommunityNews

CommunityNews

The Future of Operating Systems

Linux was first started in 1991, 29-and-a-half years ago. The POSIX standard, which Linux implements, was started in 1988, 33 years ago. Both of these technologies have seen very little evolution in the core of their design over time, despite all the progresses made in software engineering and computer science.

In this article, I will examine, topic by topic, why all the current popular operating system are in my opinion obsolete, and what to replace them with.

Disclaimer: while I know a thing or two about computers, I am in no way an expert in operating systems. I’ve never been interested in the exploration of a wide range of operating systems. Their design feels wrong to me, for the reasons exposed in this article. There will probably be unintended exaggeration and falsities, and I apologize in advance for them.

https://tomaka.medium.com/the-future-of-operating-systems-efa31e17d66d

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Most Liked

AstonJ

AstonJ

Looks like we’re not the only ones thinking about new operating systems :laughing:

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I am not very impressed by all these modern OS-es. I want something better than what we have now but truthfully, the Linux kernel is amazing, and nothing else outside Linux / macOS / Windows comes even 10% close to device compatibility.

So if we get those new OS-es they’ll likely have very strict requirements for hardware generations which might also be a good thing – it depends.

I especially applaud the Rust-based OS efforts. But an OS stepping on IPFS? That is f**ked up; the IPFS organization fully cooperates with governments and even corporations and they take down files without much scrutiny. I wouldn’t want a state actor to remove my drivers from the net because they don’t like them for some reason. :confused:

Exadra37

Exadra37

The author of the article is writing a new OS:

The redshirt operating system is an experiment to build some kind of operating-system-like environment where executables are all in Wasm and are loaded from an IPFS-like decentralized network.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

First poster: Maartz
This Keyboard Lets People Type So Fast It’s Banned From Typing Competitions. A new peripheral lets you keep typing without ever lifting ...
New
First poster: bot
It has some interesting features: It’s entirely wireless (the left half speaks Bluetooth to the right half, and the right half speaks B...
New
First poster: dyowee
Everyone seems to be striving for ‘clean’ code at the moment. You can’t read a blog post without the author telling you how clean their a...
New
First poster: bot
Flipper Zero is a portable multi-tool for pentesters and geeks in a toy-like body. It loves hacking digital stuff, such as radio protocol...
New
CommunityNews
Docker on MacOS is slow and how to fix it. Thanks to the DALL·E 2, we finally have a very nice graphic representation of the feelings of...
New
First poster: bot
Raspberry Pi security alarm — the basics. In November last year — I started building a DIY security alarm system, using a Raspberry Pi a...
New
New
First poster: dyowee
GitHub - TodePond/DreamBerd: perfect programming language. perfect programming language. Contribute to TodePond/DreamBerd development by...
New
CommunityNews
What did the study find? They scanned the brains of more than a hundred undergrad students and had them complete a questionnaire about th...
New
First poster: alvinkatojr
About accelerationism, NRx, and the intersection of technology, religion, and philosophy: an analysis of the essential ideas in the new A...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Machine learning can be intimidating, with its reliance on math and algorithms that most programmers don't encounter in their regular wor...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Design and develop sophisticated 2D games that are as much fun to make as they are to play. From particle effects and pathfinding to soci...
New
AstonJ
Just done a fresh install of macOS Big Sur and on installing Erlang I am getting: asdf install erlang 23.1.2 Configure failed. checking ...
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
Maartz
Hi folks, I don’t know if I saw this here but, here’s a new programming language, called Roc Reminds me a bit of Elm and thus Haskell. ...
New
AstonJ
If you want a quick and easy way to block any website on your Mac using Little Snitch simply… File > New Rule: And select Deny, O...
New
New
AstonJ
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New