CommunityNews

CommunityNews

Some thoughts on LLMs and Software Development

I’m about to head away from looking after this site for a few weeks (part vacation, part work stuff). As I contemplate some weeks away from the daily routine, I feel an urge to share some scattered thoughts about the state of LLMs and AI.

Read in full here:

Most Liked

gfqdjb

gfqdjb

Regardless of the impact on productivity and, more broadly, the job market, I think AI-assisted programming makes the work less enjoyable, at least for me. I actually like programming. I enjoy building things from the ground up. I don’t want to feed an AI a list of requirements just to review whatever code it spits out. I dread that vision and hope it will never come.

ragamuf

ragamuf

This parallels nicely with the journey/destination ethos. If you make the latter the only thing that matters, and getting to it as quickly as possible, then you miss the entire point of the dance.

apsori

apsori

Although I am still scared of the future, I agree with the author. We still have to wait for some time before we have an idea of how it will really affect software development in general.

Where Next?

Popular Ai topics Top

New
First poster: bot
AI Wrote and Performed a Jerry Seinfeld Routine!. I used GPT-3 to write a Jerry Seinfeld stand-up routine about cats - and then used Dee...
New
First poster: bot
DeepMind AI learns simple physics like a baby. Neural network could be a step towards programs for studying how human infants learn.
New
First poster: Eiji
AI web crawling bots are the cockroaches of the internet, many developers believe. FOSS devs are fighting back in ingenuous, humorous wa...
New
alvinkatojr
This was/is a great read that counters the common “woe is me” fear of AI. Author knows his stuff and breaks down the 8 fallacies tied to...
New
New
New
New
CommunityNews
Comparison and ranking the performance of over 100 AI models (LLMs) across key metrics including intelligence, price, performance and spe...
New
CommunityNews
LM Studio 0.4.0 introduced llmster and the lms CLI. Here is how I set up Gemma 4 26B for local inference on macOS that can be used with C...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Instantly view the changes you make to an app with stateful hot reload, and define a declarative UI in the same language as the app logic...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Free and open source software is the default choice for the technologies that run our world, and it’s built and maintained by people like...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
AstonJ
Just done a fresh install of macOS Big Sur and on installing Erlang I am getting: asdf install erlang 23.1.2 Configure failed. checking ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Create efficient, elegant software tests in pytest, Python's most powerful testing framework. Brian Okken @brianokken Edited by Kat...
New
AstonJ
This is a very quick guide, you just need to: Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/ Click on search Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A concise guide to MySQL 9 database administration, covering fundamental concepts, techniques, and best practices. Neil Smyth MySQL...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Quickly turn complex problems into simple, working solutions using functional programming, safe concurrency, and the expressive tools of ...
New
CommunityNews
Open-source implementation of the classic GTA engine now running directly in your browser. Experience the reVC technology demo on DOS.Zon...
New