CommunityNews

CommunityNews

Fault Tolerance in Tandem Computer Systems (1986)[pdf]

Tandem builds single-fault-tolerant computer systems. At the hardware level, the system
is designed as a loosely coupled multi-processor with fail-fast modules connected via
dual paths. It is designed for online diagnosis and maintenance. A range of CPUs may
be inter-connected via a hierarchical fault-tolerant local network. A variety of
peripherals needed for online transaction processing are attached via dual ported
controllers. A novel disc subsystem allows a choice between low cost-per-megabyte and
low cost-per-access. System software provides processes and messages as the basic
structuring mechanism. Processes provide software modularity and fault isolation.
Process pairs tolerate hardware and transient software failures. Applications are
structured as requesting processes making remote procedure calls to server processes.
Process server classes utilize multi-processors. The resulting process abstractions
provide a distributed system which can utilize thousands of processors. High-level
networking protocols such as SNA, OSI, and a proprietary network are built atop this
base. A relational database provides distributed data and distributed transactions. An
application generator allows users to develop fault-tolerant applications as though the
system were a conventional computer. The resulting system has price/performance
competitive with conventional systems.

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

First poster: AstonJ
We engineered a wearable microphone jammer that is capable of disabling microphones in its user’s surroundings, including hidden micropho...
New
New
First poster: bot
It has some interesting features: It’s entirely wireless (the left half speaks Bluetooth to the right half, and the right half speaks B...
New
First poster: OvermindDL1
You can now buy a 100W USB-C cable with a built-in power meter. They’re just $20 on Amazon, and they work!
New
First poster: bot
Raspberry Pi security alarm — the basics. In November last year — I started building a DIY security alarm system, using a Raspberry Pi a...
New
First poster: bot
Declarative GNOME configuration with NixOS. I adore tinkering with my machine, trying new tools, extensions, themes, and ideas. When I w...
New
New
First poster: adamaiken89
Why Ruby on Rails still matters. An old tool endures in a Next.js world
New
First poster: chris.johan
Skype’s days appear to be numbered, as a hidden string in the latest Skype for Windows preview suggests Microsoft will shutter the servic...
New
CommunityNews
After switching from Firefox to LibreWolf, I became interested in the idea of self-hosting my own Firefox Sync server. Although I had see...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Machine learning can be intimidating, with its reliance on math and algorithms that most programmers don't encounter in their regular wor...
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
AstonJ
Was just curious to see if any were around, found this one: I got 51/100: Not sure if it was meant to buy I am sure at times the b...
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
25 puzzles that will make you a better C programmer by challenging your knowledge of the language, and explaining the technical details o...
New
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
AstonJ
This is a very quick guide, you just need to: Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/ Click on search Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Fight complexity and reclaim the original spirit of agility by learning to simplify how you develop software. The result: a more humane a...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Quickly turn complex problems into simple, working solutions using functional programming, safe concurrency, and the expressive tools of ...
New