CommunityNews

CommunityNews

Elegant bash conditionals

The if-statement is a very basic thing, not just in bash, but in all of programming. I see them used quite a lot in shell scripts, even though in many cases they can be replaced with something much more elegant.

In this rather short article, I’ll show how control operators can be used instead. Many probably know about this, but don’t realize how to use them nicely. This will help you write cleaner shell scripts in the future…

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

First poster: bot
Why Zig When There is Already C++, D, and Rust? No hidden control flow No hidden allocations First-class support for no standard library...
New
First poster: bot
It’s easy to view yourself as “not a real programmer.” There are programs out there that everyone uses, and it’s easy to put their develo...
/c
New
First poster: bot
What’s Next for Teal, the typed dialect of Lua - FOSDEM 2021. This is my talk about the latest updates on the Teal programming language,...
New
paulanthonywilson
I had a bit of a mini-adventure following Sobelow’s advice on adding a CSP to a Phoenix App. If you want to follow along, or want to add ...
New
paulanthonywilson
Following up on the previous post on using UDP multicasting to broadcast and detect peers on a network, I create a registry of those peer...
New
First poster: brennan
The perspective of an ignorant computer science undergrad It’s likely that you read the title of this post and thought “what is this guy ...
New
New
elbrujohalcon
Erlang is famous for its introspecting powers. You can get a lot of information about the processes running in your nodes without any ext...
New
First poster: bot
I wrote Python for the last 10 years, and I always tend to write code in a “functional” way - map, filter, lambda and so on, it makes me ...
New
brainlid
There is a new community resource available on writing “Safe Ecto Migrations”. When we get a migration wrong, it can lock up your product...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Instantly view the changes you make to an app with stateful hot reload, and define a declarative UI in the same language as the app logic...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write Elixir tests that you can be proud of. Dive into Elixir’s test philosophy and gain mastery over the terminology and concepts that u...
New
Rainer
My first contact with Erlang was about 2 years ago when I used RabbitMQ, which is written in Erlang, for my job. This made me curious and...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
AstonJ
We’ve talked about his book briefly here but it is quickly becoming obsolete - so he’s decided to create a series of 7 podcasts, the firs...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Get the comprehensive, insider information you need for Rails 8 with the new edition of this award-winning classic. Sam Ruby @rubys ...
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Explore the power of Ash Framework by modeling and building the domain for a real-world web application. Rebecca Le @sevenseacat and ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New