CommunityNews

CommunityNews

Discord CEO backs away from hinted NFT integration after backlash

Many users react harshly to what some see as a coming crypto-fueled revolution.

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Most Liked

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Yeah I don’t know what they were thinking with that… ^.^;

Why can’t we just get a good messsaging system with features like discord but without weird stuff like what they keep thinking of doing… >.>

Even Discord Nitro isn’t a bad way to monotize either.

AstonJ

AstonJ

What features of Discord do you like most ODL?

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

First a list of hates, because I really really hate these parts and they should be known for any replacement system:

  • Proprietary network API, not allowed to make your own clients (like a TUI client, grrrr).
  • Extremely general bot unfriendly lately (which I know is for anti-spam reasons lately, but they are failing horrible at that point, and they could easily put the bot control in the server runner’s control or at least let people report them within the client interface without loading a webpage, as it stands if feels like their recent backwards incompatible bot API changes are more to prop up paid things).
  • They (as a company) have some… odd ethical issues that have come to light lately (which wouldn’t matter if it was an open standard so other clients/servers could be made).

However, what I like (with some alternative systems that also implement such features if any):

  • Typing indicators (‘most’ other things have this now, even IRC if on a new enough server and client).
  • File Transfers (though they are hosted on the server, which is also a plug and minus as there is no permissions associated with those URL’s), at least IRC has DCC and most text systems have something like this now too)
  • Screen broadcasting is… mostly functional, works well but not very featureful, but it does indeed work very well. I can’t think of any open chat system that has such a feature (IRC over DCC I guess, though no clients implement it that I can think of?)
  • Voice chat is top marks (I ‘think’ matrix has this?)
  • Has sub-threads now, can split off a new thread/conversation from a message, but it’s done in a really weird, annoying to use, and kind of crappy way (I hear it’s similar to how slack does it), I prefer Zulip’s method of sub-threads, those are just utterly top marks! (Zulip is pretty awesome in general).
  • Has status and presence features that are quite pluggable and non-intrusive but very useful (I could see ways it could be more generically useful though, especially with self bots being allowed again, grrr).
  • Lot of other little minor things and well done polish, from how custom emotes are handled to the really useful keyboard hotkeys to a variety of other things.

But honestly, the big thing about it is easy file transferring/hosting and video and voice broadcasting.

Matrix and Zulip are both pretty good alternatives, just missing the broadcasting capabilities is the major thing, but they do most everything else (in some cases better, in some cases worse).

Zulip is pretty awesome though, a lot like matrix, and it’s pretty programming community centric (I’ve only seen it used in quite a lot of programming communities), not as bridgeable as matrix, but has some very very useful features (like its streams, the side conversations, those are just absolutely top!), and still fully FOSS, though the backend server isn’t terribly efficient (I think it’s made in python, but matrix’s isn’t that much better currently, but it does have better future prospects).

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

First poster: dimitarvp
skiftOS is a simple, handmade operating system for the x86 platform, aiming for clean and pretty APIs while keeping the spirit of UNIX. s...
New
First poster: AstonJ
We engineered a wearable microphone jammer that is capable of disabling microphones in its user’s surroundings, including hidden micropho...
New
First poster: cpgo
8 reasons to ditch Chrome and switch to Firefox. Chrome may dominate, but Firefox is a known name among browsers for a reason. Whether y...
New
First poster: mindriot
LG 28-inch 16:18 DualUp Monitor with Ergo Stand and USB Type-C™ (28MQ780-B) | LG USA. Shop LG 28MQ780-B on the official LG.com website ...
New
First poster: peterchancc
Why I like Clojure as a solo developer | Biff. Most of the reasons fall into a few categories: data orientation, the JVM, and the REPL.
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
First poster: KnowledgeIsPower
Building a Slack/Discord alternative with Tauri/Rust linen <span class="hashtag-icon-placeholder"></span>blog. Introduction My name is K...
New
CommunityNews
GitHub - quickwit-oss/tantivy: Tantivy is a full-text search engine library inspired by Apache Lucene and written in Rust. Tantivy is a ...
New
First poster: chris.johan
Skype’s days appear to be numbered, as a hidden string in the latest Skype for Windows preview suggests Microsoft will shutter the servic...
New
CommunityNews
After switching from Firefox to LibreWolf, I became interested in the idea of self-hosting my own Firefox Sync server. Although I had see...
New

Other popular topics Top

DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
AstonJ
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed! Check out all of our Keycaps threads here: https://forum....
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Tailwind CSS is an exciting new CSS framework that allows you to design your site by composing simple utility classes to create complex e...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
AstonJ
If you want a quick and easy way to block any website on your Mac using Little Snitch simply… File &gt; New Rule: And select Deny, O...
New
husaindevelop
Inside our android webview app, we are trying to paste the copied content from another app eg (notes) using navigator.clipboard.readtext ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
25 puzzles that will make you a better C programmer by challenging your knowledge of the language, and explaining the technical details o...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Lint your docs like code: turn any style guide into enforceable rules with Vale and publish clear, consistent content every time. ...
New