CommunityNews

CommunityNews

Can you win at tetris? (1992)

TETRIS is a popular video game in which you try to fill rows in a rectangular well using a sequence of tetrominoes chosen by the machine. Each time you succeed in filling a row, it is deleted from the well. Your game ends when you have stacked pieces up to the top of the well. I build a model of TETRIS and analyze the worst-case scenario, in which the machine is treated as an adversary. I say you have a winning strategy when you can make your game last indefinitely. I construct winning strategies for some subsets of the TETRIS pieces, and prove that none exists for some others. Finally, I compare these analytic results to some empirical average-case data that I obtain from a passive survey of TETRIS players.

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Where Next?

Popular Game Dev topics Top

New
New
wolf4earth
A few years ago, I got the opportunity to architect and code the fire propagation system in Far Cry 2. At that time, it was a gigantic ...
New
First poster: bot
Shares in a US games company have soared more than 300% in the past week - the result of a fight between private and professional investo...
New
CommunityNews
We know more people are playing video games in the pandemic. Not all of those will be sitting down to play on their consoles or PCs. Re...
New
First poster: bot
Graham Carroll was racing his BMW touring car around the Interlagos race track in Brazil at speeds of up to 250km/h (155 mph). For the 3...
New
First poster: bot
Notion – The all-in-one workspace for your notes, tasks, wikis, and databases… A new tool that blends your everyday work apps into one. ...
New
RobertRichards
Video game development not only requires fresh ideas but also involves using the right game engine where consulting a professional game d...
New
RobertRichards
Despite experiencing the hassle-free purchasing benefits of online shopping, people have not stopped visiting physical retail outlets. As...
New
RobertRichards
Slot is a traditional casino game that is becoming more accessible, popular, and engaging with rapid digitization in recent times. In the...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Write Elixir tests that you can be proud of. Dive into Elixir’s test philosophy and gain mastery over the terminology and concepts that u...
New
brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
AstonJ
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me. I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming. Minh Quang Tran The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New
CommunityNews
Open-source implementation of the classic GTA engine now running directly in your browser. Experience the reVC technology demo on DOS.Zon...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Woke up to this today: Claude Code’s complete source code exposed via npm source map. Not a snippet. All 512,000 lines. 1,900 TypeScript ...
New