OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Polyglot programming is becoming more popular in the news

Most Liked

AstonJ

AstonJ

I think this is only going to increase for the foreseeable future because to get the most out of each platform you have to use platform specific languages (usually). Swift for iOS, Kotlin for Android - then whatever you use on the backend and web frontend, etc. You can use things like Flutter for multiple platforms, but they’re not quite there yet for everything (though Flutter is definitely one to watch - being backed by Google).

Something I have really enjoyed about learning another language is how things are done differently, and the ideas that I can borrow and apply from one language to another.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Programming language polyglotism is fairly normal. Many devs, juniors included, have cursory and workable knowledge in at least 2 languages.

Not sure what this article says is actually new. :stuck_out_tongue:

But yeah, having in mind there are a lot of small dev studios out there, polyglotism is pretty much mandatory if you are not working for a big corp.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

New
andresriveros
Every other year since 2009, Planet Argon collects information to know the state of RoR community and trends. Previous results: If you...
New
Jase
Why does it have to take users screaming to get stuff like this fixed ESP when a service say " Tired of being tracked online? We can help...
New
AstonJ
This is fantastic! On Thursday, Twitter’s engineering division tweeted out a set of words that it wants “to move away from using in f...
New
AstonJ
Inspired by the Bletchley Park thread, I was wondering what each of our countries may be famous for in computing. Perhaps a language was...
New
wolf4earth
Continuing the discussion from Elm-pages: A statically typed site generator: @AstonJ asked me to create a thread to discuss this great t...
New
First poster: bot
In the photo above, a Wii Remote is sitting on a table next to an open window. People who grew up playing the Wii might remember it; whil...
New
AstonJ
Just noticed this on Apple’s homepage: This image highlights quite a good case for miniaturisation of tech - smaller hardware means...
New
First poster: bot
Social media has drastically restructured the way we communicate in an incredibly short period of time. We can discover, “Like,” click on...
New
ggarnier
I just finished reading “Effective Remote Work”, and I really liked! But one thing I disagree is when the author calls the Covid-19 pande...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Hello Devtalk World! Please let us know a little about who you are and where you’re from :nerd_face:
New
AstonJ
Or looking forward to? :nerd_face:
503 15149 280
New
Exadra37
Oh just spent so much time on this to discover now that RancherOS is in end of life but Rancher is refusing to mark the Github repo as su...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build highly interactive applications without ever leaving Elixir, the way the experts do. Let LiveView take care of performance, scalabi...
New
Maartz
Hi folks, I don’t know if I saw this here but, here’s a new programming language, called Roc Reminds me a bit of Elm and thus Haskell. ...
New
foxtrottwist
A few weeks ago I started using Warp a terminal written in rust. Though in it’s current state of development there are a few caveats (tab...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Explore the power of Ash Framework by modeling and building the domain for a real-world web application. Rebecca Le @sevenseacat and ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Quickly turn complex problems into simple, working solutions using functional programming, safe concurrency, and the expressive tools of ...
New
pragdave
Build robust LLM-powered apps, chatbots, and agents while mastering AI engineering principles that will help you outlast the tools and th...
New