CommunityNews

CommunityNews

Lua, a misunderstood language

Lua is one of my favourite programming languages. I’ve used it to build a CMS for my old educational website, for creating cool IoT hardware projects, for building little games, and experimenting with network decentralisation. Still, I don’t consider myself an expert on it at all, I am at most a somewhat competent user. This is to say that I have had exposure to it in various contexts and through many years but I am not deep into its implementation or ecosystem. Because of that, it kinda pains me when I read blog posts and articles about Lua that appear to completely miss the objective and context of the language. Usually these posts read like a rant or a list of demands. Most recently, I saw a post about Lua’s Lack of Batteries on LWN and a discussion about that post on Hacker News that made me want to write back.

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Where Next?

Popular Embedded topics Top

First poster: bot
From init.vim to init.lua - a crash course. 5 minutes crash course on moving from init.vim to init.lua and unleashing the power of Neov...
New
First poster: OvermindDL1
I have come across several detailed lists that mention good and not-so-good parts of Lua (for example, Lua benefits, why Lua, why Lua is ...
New
First poster: bot
Fengari (Moon in greek) is the Lua VM written in JavaScript. It uses JavaScript’s garbage collector so that interoperability with the DOM...
New
First poster: bot
GitHub - IBM/MicroscoPy: An open-source, motorized, and modular microscope built using LEGO bricks, Arduino, Raspberry Pi and 3D printing...
New
First poster: bot
A self-contained AVR programmer using an Arduino Uno. For a project I need to be able to program an ATtiny84 microcontroller but I don’t...
New
First poster: bot
Introducing multitasking to Arduino | Arduino Blog. With the increased capabilities of Arduino and other microcontroller boards, includi...
New
First poster: bot
GitHub - rxi/lite: A lightweight text editor written in Lua. A lightweight text editor written in Lua. Contribute to rxi/lite developmen...
New
First poster: bot
MicroPython officially becomes part of the Arduino ecosystem | Arduino Blog. At Arduino we like to experiment with new technologies to f...
New
CommunityNews
In which I pried open the glass LCD lens at the front of my Nest 2nd Gen thermostat and found the LCD display module, packaged with a fle...
New
CommunityNews
Every few months, some new software comes along that promises to make some complex engineering discipline accessible to everyone. Such so...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Stop developing web apps with yesterday’s tools. Today, developers are increasingly adopting Clojure as a web-development platform. See f...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Free and open source software is the default choice for the technologies that run our world, and it’s built and maintained by people like...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn from the award-winning programming series that inspired the Elixir language, and go on a step-by-step journey through the most impo...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn different ways of writing concurrent code in Elixir and increase your application's performance, without sacrificing scalability or...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
AstonJ
Was just curious to see if any were around, found this one: I got 51/100: Not sure if it was meant to buy I am sure at times the b...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Rebecca Skinner @RebeccaSkinner Welcome to our latest author spotlight, where we sit down with Rebecca Skinner, auth...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Jan | Rethink the Computer. Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
As digital systems increasingly run the world, mastery of the recurring patterns of software development risk is the key to fast and effe...
New
pragdave
Build robust LLM-powered apps, chatbots, and agents while mastering AI engineering principles that will help you outlast the tools and th...
New