amolith

amolith

Has anyone had success permanently losing weight through dieting?

I’m the stereotypical overweight IT guy, have been trying to become less overweight, and one of the more popular ways to accomplish that seems to be dieting. I like to do research before diving into this kind of thing though; after reading The End of Craving and listening to podcast episodes like What’s the Most Sustainable Diet?, I’m almost convinced there isn’t a mainstream diet — such as keto or paleo — that’s sustainable enough to facilitate healthy, permanent weight loss.

Has anyone had long-term success with any particular diet or has it just been this same cycle over and over?

  1. Diet a few months
  2. Decide you’ve lost enough and any more would be unhealthy
  3. Quit
  4. Gain it all back pretty quickly
  5. Decide enough’s enough
  6. Go back on diet
  7. Repeat from 2

Most Liked

cs44

cs44

After a sedentary recovery from surgery, I was classified as “overweight” according to the US CDC BMI index. I wanted to lose about 20 lbs, and had tried trendy diets in the past, but always struggled with maintaining them, whether out of boredom or inconvenience.

I went with these basic tenants:

Establish rules around alcohol intake - I would often have a glass of wine during the week with a meal, but now limit myself to drinking on the weekends, and mostly socially.

Replace soda with water - this turned out to be much easier than anticipated. I carry a refillable water bottle and track water consumption with an app on my phone. I target 76oz of water a day, and often hit my mark. Sparkling water, and the myriad of market choices, has really helped here.

Choose less processed foods - I cook dinner for the family a minimum of three nights a week and rarely eat processed snacks, but instead reach for a piece of fruit.

Start a regular exercise routine - I’ve taken to cycling and routinely log 50 miles a week. While I personally feel this has been a huge boon in my success in shedding pounds, regular cardio exercise has been immensely fulfilling for both hormone regulation and personal achievement. Start slow, establish a routine, and track all the data you can.

joeb

joeb

I tried a diet of just fruits and vegetables for a few weeks. Didn’t work for me. What worked for me is everything in moderation, and much less sugar.

holder66

holder66

Most definitely. Low methionine, low protein diet. Not only weight loss, but reduces inflammation and the conditions of aging.

Where Next?

Popular Science Tech topics Top

wolf4earth
@AstonJ prompted me to open this topic after I mentioned in the lockdown thread how I started to do a lot more for my fitness. https://f...
New
New
AstonJ
This is another great podcast and this episode in particular looks good - Optimizing Workspace for Productivity, Focus, & Creativity:...
New
First poster: bot
It’s well known that weightlifting can strengthen our biceps and quads. Now, there’s accumulating evidence that strengthening the muscles...
New
CommunityNews
One-hour operation could cure prostate cancer by destroying tumours with electric currents. Pioneering treatment has been used to treat ...
New
New
First poster: AstonJ
The move has been criticised by experts, who say the mineral helps reduce oral cavities, especially in children.
New
CommunityNews
Importance Light at night causes circadian disruption, which is a known risk factor for adverse cardiovascular outcomes. However, it is n...
New
CommunityNews
Regular exposure to Finnish sauna bathing (FSB) has been associated with reduced morbidity and mortality. This study aimed to examine the...
New
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
If it’s a mechanical keyboard, which switches do you have? Would you recommend it? Why? What will your next keyboard be? Pics always w...
New
Exadra37
I am thinking in building or buy a desktop computer for programing, both professionally and on my free time, and my choice of OS is Linux...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
Rainer
My first contact with Erlang was about 2 years ago when I used RabbitMQ, which is written in Erlang, for my job. This made me curious and...
New
AstonJ
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed! Check out all of our Keycaps threads here: https://forum....
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Tailwind CSS is an exciting new CSS framework that allows you to design your site by composing simple utility classes to create complex e...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Jan | Rethink the Computer. Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New