CommunityNews

CommunityNews

ChunkLLM: A Lightweight Pluggable Framework for Accelerating LLMs Inference

Transformer-based large models excel in natural language processing and computer vision, but face severe computational inefficiencies due to the self-attention’s quadratic complexity with input tokens. Recently, researchers have proposed a series of methods based on block selection and compression to alleviate this problem, but they either have issues with semantic incompleteness or poor training-inference efficiency. To comprehensively address these challenges, we propose ChunkLLM, a lightweight and pluggable training framework. Specifically, we introduce two components: QK Adapter (Q-Adapter and K-Adapter) and Chunk Adapter. The former is attached to each Transformer layer, serving dual purposes of feature compression and chunk attention acquisition. The latter operates at the bottommost layer of the model, functioning to detect chunk boundaries by leveraging contextual semantic information. During the training phase, the parameters of the backbone remain frozen, with only the QK Adapter and Chunk Adapter undergoing training. Notably, we design an attention distillation method for training the QK Adapter, which enhances the recall rate of key chunks. During the inference phase, chunk selection is triggered exclusively when the current token is detected as a chunk boundary, thereby accelerating model inference. Experimental evaluations are conducted on a diverse set of long-text and short-text benchmark datasets spanning multiple tasks. ChunkLLM not only attains comparable performance on short-text benchmarks but also maintains 98.64% of the performance on long-context benchmarks while preserving a 48.58% key-value cache retention rate. Particularly, ChunkLLM attains a maximum speedup of 4.48x in comparison to the vanilla Transformer in the processing of 120K long texts.

Read in full here:

Most Liked

chris.johan

chris.johan

Any examples on how to use this?

Where Next?

Popular Ai topics Top

New
New
First poster: CommunityNews
In their decades-long chase to create artificial intelligence, computer scientists have designed and developed all kinds of complicated m...
New
First poster: bot
A research group has taught AI to magnetically wrangle a high-powered stream of plasma used for fusion research — but wait! Put away your...
New
First poster: bot
AI Wrote and Performed a Jerry Seinfeld Routine!. I used GPT-3 to write a Jerry Seinfeld stand-up routine about cats - and then used Dee...
New
New
First poster: bot
AI video editor can recognize objects, people, and sounds, allowing editing via text.
New
CommunityNews
AI supercomputer will use “tens of thousands” of Nvidia A100 and H100 GPUs.
New
First poster: AstonJ
SRE Fred Hebert provides you with a list of questions to ask about potential AI solutions, including where humans should be involved.
New
gfqdjb
With all the AI buzz around coding assistants, and being a bit concerned about being dependent on third-party cloud providers here, I dec...
New

Other popular topics Top

New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn from the award-winning programming series that inspired the Elixir language, and go on a step-by-step journey through the most impo...
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
25 puzzles that will make you a better C programmer by challenging your knowledge of the language, and explaining the technical details o...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Jan | Rethink the Computer. Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
sir.laksmana_wenk
I’m able to do the “artistic” part of game-development; character designing/modeling, music, environment modeling, etc. However, I don’t...
New
mindriot
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New
pragdave
Build robust LLM-powered apps, chatbots, and agents while mastering AI engineering principles that will help you outlast the tools and th...
New