OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

An Unbelievable Demo

This is the story of the most unbelievable demo I’ve been given in world of open source. You can’t make this stuff up.

Most Liked

andrea

andrea

If a programmer built something great, it is the company that gets recognized. But if something bad happens, it is the programmer’s fault.

AstonJ

AstonJ

I printed socketsnoop.d. The screen filled with my own script. It was the same incomplete attempt I had hacked up a year earlier, and published as open source. It included some weird code that only made sense when I wrote it (use of PFORMAT, prior to defaultargs) and was written in my earlier coding style. I was looking at my own fucking script.

“This is MY script.”

I printed the other tools and saw the same – they were all mine. This hot new Sun product that Mr. VIP was touring the world showing off was actually just my own open source tools.

My jaw was on the floor. He didn’t seem to believe me.

I used grep to search all his tools for my name, which was in the header comment of all my tools, to prove beyond a doubt that these were mine. But I found nothing. My name had been stripped.

Why doesn’t that surprise me!

The last part made me sad :worried:

davearonson

davearonson

Certainly wouldn’t have surprised me a bit if that were done after the acquisition by 'Orrible, but having dealt with them very little, I am a bit surprised that Sun was that evil. :frowning_face:

Where Next?

Popular Cross Platform topics Top

First poster: bot
The Genius of RISC-V Microprocessors. How the instruction set for RISC-V processors has been designed cleverly for both simplicity and h...
New
First poster: bot
I normally deal with Linux machines. Linux is what I know and it’s what I’ve been using since I was in college. A friend of mine has been...
New
First poster: bot
With the release of FreeBSD 13.0 on the horizon, I wanted to see how it shapes up on my Lenovo T450 laptop. Previous major releases on t...
New
First poster: bot
We have ended up in a world where UNIX and Windows have taken over, and most people have never experienced anything else. Over the years,...
New
First poster: bot
I quit my job to focus on SerenityOS full time. Hello friends! :^) Let me tell you a story…
New
OvermindDL1
This is the story of the most unbelievable demo I’ve been given in world of open source. You can’t make this stuff up.
New
New

Other popular topics Top

brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
AstonJ
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Tailwind CSS is an exciting new CSS framework that allows you to design your site by composing simple utility classes to create complex e...
New
Exadra37
Oh just spent so much time on this to discover now that RancherOS is in end of life but Rancher is refusing to mark the Github repo as su...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build highly interactive applications without ever leaving Elixir, the way the experts do. Let LiveView take care of performance, scalabi...
New
AstonJ
We’ve talked about his book briefly here but it is quickly becoming obsolete - so he’s decided to create a series of 7 podcasts, the firs...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Lint your docs like code: turn any style guide into enforceable rules with Vale and publish clear, consistent content every time. ...
New