CommunityNews

CommunityNews

Windows Recall sounds like a privacy nightmare

Windows Recall sounds like a privacy nightmare – here’s why I’m worried.
Screenshotting everything you do and feeding it into an AI model could be a recipe for disaster

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Most Liked

faust

faust

it’s really crazy to think that someone thought this would be a good idea, and then convinced the whole company to put it in practice

jkdiaz

jkdiaz

Such a bad move/idea from Microsoft. Not sure what they were thinking.

Eiji

Eiji

In theory I have a legal copy of Windows 11 on USB drive that I have bought together with my PC. In practice I’m not using it at all. Because of performance and privacy mess it’s not worth to use it. When needed I just open an MS Office in a VM just for few minutes, but now I wonder what I would do. It’s too dangerous to launch Windows anymore. :no_entry_sign:

They have enabled it by default with a possibility to change it’s settings. How nice of them! On Gentoo I have just 1495 packages - if I would need to configure each one because BY DEFAULT they are dangerous for my personal and business data then I would consider changing job and not using PC at all as it’s easier to do. Now think that in theory Windows supports backwards compatibility which in practice does not work, but hey - they are another apps that were installed. I guess Windows therefore would have dozens if not hundreds of thousands of “packages”. That’s how Windows become another NO-GO zone. :-1:

I wonder how much craps Windows have that they “forgot to mention”. When using Linux I can at least verify what packages I’m installing and using. On Windows I have no idea what’s inside system files. Windows so far had lots of problems:

  1. Many useful features came after 20 years comparing to much better alternatives on other OS - that was an amazing source for memes :slight_smile:
  2. Tons of parts and services that slows down PC and not doing anything needed for a user’s use case were mixed with system making them hard to remove if it was even possible. The best example was IE that was not only browser, but was used as a part of the system and you was able to remove it partially or you could broke everything even if you not need it at all. :chart_with_downwards_trend:
  3. Other apps enabled by default that also affected privacy and performance. :male_detective:
  4. Backwards compatibility that worked best on … Linux using wine :man_facepalming:

This way for most people Windows become an OS only for games, but when literally one feature by default takes 10% of disc space it’s not worth anymore. Just think that a typical user knows and understands all the settings and performance tricks on Windows. They just want to “make it work” and with such practices as long as they would not use things that work only for Windows then it would be worth to change OS for a typical user. :thinking:

Why? Just think how much time takes typical Linux distribution installation … just a few minutes. How long is to work with Windows mess? For me it’s long hours. Maybe some companies would have a scripts to automatically disable/remove that and do hundreds of other things, but the question is … is it worth anymore? Learning about Linux that you have full control of with a descriptive error messages if something fails should be much easier than “somehow” solving Windows problems. Not sure how it’s working now, but I still remember errors with a weird hex code without any context. Since almost nobody remembers it people needs to Google each such problem. :mag:

You know what’s worst? Who would be really damaged? People who knows “a few things” that are willing to install OS on themselves. What’s a problem? A so-called “Gaming Editions” of Windows. Yeah, this OS is bad in terms of performance that many people are searching for a ways to fix it. :video_game:

Who cares if they would be viruses. My game would have more than few FPS!

You think I’m going too far and nobody would say that? I already heard things like:

They can spy as much as they want. I have nothing to hide!

Most of people don’t understand the security problems and just click Next. Windows really became a SCAM software just like the installers that “by default” added other apps or toolbars and had “somewhere” an option to prevent it. How did worked? Brilliantly - at least for IT service shops. They had tons of requests to remove 3 and more toolbars that covered significant space on their screens. :moneybag:

The funniest thing is that the often practice to fix many problems was a Windows reinstall and copy user data as that was faster and easier to automate than manually searching and fixing each problem. In worst case huge percent of people could be extremely vulnerable, breaking every NDA agreements, paying again and again for a reinstallation service. :crazy_face:

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

First poster: mafinar
The following languages will help current and new web developers navigate the programming landscape to code web-based services and apps t...
New
Exadra37
As part of our continued goal of helping developers provide safer products for businesses and consumers, we here at McAfee Advanced Threa...
New
First poster: bot
MEMORANDUM FOR SENIOR PENTAGON LEADERSHIP COMMANDANT OF THE COAST GUARD COMMANDERS OF THE COMBATANT COMMANDS DEFENSE AGENCY AND DOD FIEL...
New
CommunityNews
ABSTRACT In lieu of a traditional , I’ve tried to distill the essence of the talk into a collection of maxims: All programmers are API ...
New
First poster: bot
Hector Martin (@marcan@treehouse.systems). Attached: 1 image For those wondering why the hell we need all this safety system stuff for...
New
CommunityNews
Building GitHub with Ruby and Rails | The GitHub Blog. Since the beginning, GitHub.com has been a Ruby on Rails monolith. Today, the app...
New
First poster: bot
Declarative GNOME configuration with NixOS. I adore tinkering with my machine, trying new tools, extensions, themes, and ideas. When I w...
New
CommunityNews
Once you get good at Rust all of these problems will go away Rust being great at big refactorings solves a largely self-inflicted issues ...
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
CommunityNews
GitSyncPad is an innovative micro keypad designed for effortless Git version control. Execute commands like git add, git commit, and git ...
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
If it’s a mechanical keyboard, which switches do you have? Would you recommend it? Why? What will your next keyboard be? Pics always w...
New
brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
Exadra37
Oh just spent so much time on this to discover now that RancherOS is in end of life but Rancher is refusing to mark the Github repo as su...
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
sir.laksmana_wenk
I’m able to do the “artistic” part of game-development; character designing/modeling, music, environment modeling, etc. However, I don’t...
New
AstonJ
If you’re getting errors like this: psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory ...
New
AstonJ
This is cool! DEEPSEEK-V3 ON M4 MAC: BLAZING FAST INFERENCE ON APPLE SILICON We just witnessed something incredible: the largest open-s...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write elegant Ruby code—not just correct, but idiomatic. Go beyond the vocabulary and syntax and learn to express yourself with eloquence...
New