CommunityNews

CommunityNews

Top 5 programming languages for web developers to learn

The following languages will help current and new web developers navigate the programming landscape to code web-based services and apps that are stable and secure.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/top-5-programming-languages-for-web-developers-to-learn/#ftag=RSS56d97e7

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our automated news source trackers.

Most Liked

MikhailPertsev

MikhailPertsev

I can understand JS over PHP, but Python over JS? Not to mention Java over Ruby…

mafinar

mafinar

I personally don’t trust these “Top X for Y” type articles. They are almost always biased. More reliable “Top X for Y” can be a collaborative article that is a summary of long debates and discussions. And no one will ever have time or energy for one of those.

finner

finner

Hi @AstonJ, @mafinar,
When I saw Java in at number 5 on this list I thought “Great! I’m still relevant”.
But looking at the comments, the general consensus disagrees with the list. Elixir seems to be the language of choice on devtalk. I get the impression there are very few Java developers here which surprises me.
A poll to get an idea of what languages we professionally work with, or what types of products we are building at our workplace, i.e. Mobile apps or web applications would interesting.

Finally, what’s the attraction of Elixir and what types of products is it good for building? I’ve played around with Python, Scala, Kotlin and Clojure so wondering if Elixir might be of interest.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

First poster: bot
FUZIX FUZIX is a fusion of various elements from the assorted UZI forks and branches beaten together into some kind of semi-coherent pla...
New
First poster: AstonJ
We engineered a wearable microphone jammer that is capable of disabling microphones in its user’s surroundings, including hidden micropho...
New
First poster: bot
sqlglot/python_sql_engine.md at main · tobymao/sqlglot. Python SQL Parser and Transpiler. Contribute to tobymao/sqlglot development by c...
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
CommunityNews
GitHub - ItzCrazyKns/Perplexica: Perplexica is an AI-powered search engine. It is an Open source alternative to Perplexity AI. Perplexic...
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
First poster: AstonJ
GitHub - exelban/stats: macOS system monitor in your menu bar. macOS system monitor in your menu bar. Contribute to exelban/stats develo...
New
First poster: alvinkatojr
Over the last decade, we’ve seen great advancements in distributed systems, but the way we program them has seen few fundamental improvem...
New
CommunityNews
What did the study find? They scanned the brains of more than a hundred undergrad students and had them complete a questionnaire about th...
New
CommunityNews
Rendering Action Mailer emails with Phlex components and layouts: Clean, Composable, and Completely Ruby - Blog post by Camillo Visini
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Instantly view the changes you make to an app with stateful hot reload, and define a declarative UI in the same language as the app logic...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Ruby, Io, Prolog, Scala, Erlang, Clojure, Haskell. With Seven Languages in Seven Weeks, by Bruce A. Tate, you’ll go beyond the syntax—and...
New
AstonJ
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed! Check out all of our Keycaps threads here: https://forum....
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rust is an exciting new programming language combining the power of C with memory safety, fearless concurrency, and productivity boosters...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single...
New
DevotionGeo
I have always used antique keyboards like Cherry MX 1800 or Cherry MX 8100 and almost always have modified the switches in some way, like...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Lint your docs like code: turn any style guide into enforceable rules with Vale and publish clear, consistent content every time. ...
New