lawik

lawik

Elixir is not owned by Big Tech

We all have varying degrees of exposure to Big Tech. Some of it seems fine, stable and can be relied on. Some of it feels like shifting sand under your feet. React seems to move a lot on whims, I don’t envy tracking that. Go seems like it might be fairly stable? With the current geo-political climate I don’t find massive corporations to be a guarantee for stability. People may be getting fired even though they chose IBM. The world is wild right now.

Most Liked

gflashner

gflashner

I guess not many companies need the scalability that Elixir/Erlang offers.

faust

faust

I think you have a good point, many languages are just “good enough” these days.
I noticed that even Java is evolving quite fast now,

faust

faust

honesty question, how popular is Elixir these days? is it gaining traction or did it become a completly niche language?
I remember that 6 or so years ago a lot of people was talking about it.
Many ruby users were moving to Elixir but recently I hardly hear anything

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

New
ErlangSolutions
Interested in a blazingly fast type checker with 25 years of investment, delivered on the BEAM? Check out Caramel, an exciting project fr...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Ten years without Elixir. I never got into Elixir, largely because it looked like Ruby. I was a Rubyist for a good while, spent time and...
New
First poster: bot
In a previous post we talked about implementing a simple video chat with WebRTC and Elixir. This update will touch on some of the API cha...
New
CommunityNews
Idioms for the D Programming Language This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.
New
First poster: bot
In this post we’re going to be looking at a more advanced use of Gleam’s type system, known as phantom types. Hopefully by the end of thi...
New
prajaut
Being a part of the tech industry, it would be good to share thoughts on specific technologies. Having surrounded by skilled and experie...
/go
New
First poster: bot
This post explains why Scala projects are difficult to maintain. Scala is a powerful programming language that can make certain small te...
New
AstonJ
This was posted on the Elixir Forum and thought it was worth sharing here! I love how the excitement of the author shines through and I ...
New
fullstackplus
The Ruby ecosystem is rich with tools that make us developers more productive at what we do. Both Rails and Sinatra have been used to bui...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Andy and Dave wrote this influential, classic book to help their clients create better software and rediscover the joy of coding. Almost ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn from the award-winning programming series that inspired the Elixir language, and go on a step-by-step journey through the most impo...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build highly interactive applications without ever leaving Elixir, the way the experts do. Let LiveView take care of performance, scalabi...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
Maartz
Hi folks, I don’t know if I saw this here but, here’s a new programming language, called Roc Reminds me a bit of Elm and thus Haskell. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single...
New
AstonJ
If you get Can't find emacs in your PATH when trying to install Doom Emacs on your Mac you… just… need to install Emacs first! :lol: bre...
New
AstonJ
Was just curious to see if any were around, found this one: I got 51/100: Not sure if it was meant to buy I am sure at times the b...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Jan | Rethink the Computer. Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New