Exadra37

Exadra37

Apple digs in over its App Store fees

Apple is under fire because of their fees, but they are not alone:

Most Liked

Exadra37

Exadra37

While I not agree, that’s is an usual approach taken for worldwide companies to adjust the price to max they can extort from the local economy. That also happens outside the digital world too, but in a more limited way, specially when the thing being sold is a physical good.

AstonJ

AstonJ

Tell me about it! Whether it’s Macs or PlayStations or anything that isn’t manufactured here or by a British company, we get ripped off :joy:

AstonJ

AstonJ

It will be interesting to see how this pans out, DHH’s new email service has fallen foul too:

When I was selling an app on the App Store (at 99p and I was getting about £50 a month) I think Apple took around half in fees… which while a bit high I could understand since I would have probably had zero sales without their marketing / App Store. However I can see why services like Spotify are annoyed, they don’t need the App Store for discovery as they have their own marketing avenues, it’s particularly difficult for them because they directly compete with some of Apple’s own paid services (Apple Music).

It wouldn’t surprise me if regulators eventually force all huge companies (and OSes) that society rely on, into public ownership at some point.

While on the topic of fees… we get ripped off here! I know someone who moved to Singapore and I think he said he pays the equivalent of about £2.99 for Apple Music whereas we pay £9.99 here!!! Similar for Netflix, etc too. :joy:

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

First poster: Maartz
This Keyboard Lets People Type So Fast It’s Banned From Typing Competitions. A new peripheral lets you keep typing without ever lifting ...
New
First poster: joeb
The File System Access API with Origin Private File System. WebKit supports new API that makes it possible for web apps to create, open,...
New
First poster: cpgo
8 reasons to ditch Chrome and switch to Firefox. Chrome may dominate, but Firefox is a known name among browsers for a reason. Whether y...
New
First poster: bot
Raspberry Pi security alarm — the basics. In November last year — I started building a DIY security alarm system, using a Raspberry Pi a...
New
First poster: bot
When Zig is safer and faster than Rust. There are endless debates online about Rust vs. Zig, this post explores a side of the argument I...
New
First poster: KnowledgeIsPower
Building a Slack/Discord alternative with Tauri/Rust linen <span class="hashtag-icon-placeholder"></span>blog. Introduction My name is K...
New
CommunityNews
SLUM: The Shadow Library Uptime Monitor. This dashboard tracks the availability of popular shadow libraries in real time from a US-based...
New
First poster: chris.johan
Skype’s days appear to be numbered, as a hidden string in the latest Skype for Windows preview suggests Microsoft will shutter the servic...
New
First poster: alvinkatojr
About accelerationism, NRx, and the intersection of technology, religion, and philosophy: an analysis of the essential ideas in the new A...
New
First poster: jss
Bare is a minimal and modular JavaScript runtime designed for building high-performance apps across desktop and mobile. Open-source, fast...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Design and develop sophisticated 2D games that are as much fun to make as they are to play. From particle effects and pathfinding to soci...
New
AstonJ
poll poll Be sure to check out @Dusty’s article posted here: An Introduction to Alternative Keyboard Layouts It’s one of the best write-...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
foxtrottwist
A few weeks ago I started using Warp a terminal written in rust. Though in it’s current state of development there are a few caveats (tab...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single...
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
New
sir.laksmana_wenk
I’m able to do the “artistic” part of game-development; character designing/modeling, music, environment modeling, etc. However, I don’t...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Get the comprehensive, insider information you need for Rails 8 with the new edition of this award-winning classic. Sam Ruby @rubys ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
As digital systems increasingly run the world, mastery of the recurring patterns of software development risk is the key to fast and effe...
New